Academic Progress & Records - Grades

Incomplete Grades

An instructor may assign an incomplete grade if the student's work in a course has been of passing quality but is incomplete due to circumstances beyond the student's control.

These are the regulations that govern incomplete grades.

For Graduate Students

The method of replacement of the I grade by a final grade will be determined by the Dean of the Graduate Division and the Graduate Council.

For Undergraduate Students

Removing an Incomplete

IMPORTANT: Do not re-enroll in the course in order to remove your incomplete!

To remove your incomplete, you must

  1. complete the course work as agreed upon with your instructor by the completion deadline

    I Grade Received Deadline for replacement of I grade
    Fall Semester First day of instruction of following Fall Semester
    Spring Semester
    Summer Session
    First day of instruction of following Spring Semester
  2. download the Petition to Remove an Incomplete, there is no fee for this service.
  3. Turn in the completed course work and the Petition to your instructor, who will complete the process. Note that you cannot carry a Petition to Remove an Incomplete to the Office of the Registrar yourself. It must be mailed by the instructor. 

Requesting an Extension of Time for an Incomplete

If you are unable to finish a course on time, you may request an extension from the Dean of your College or School prior to the completion deadline (see Removing an Incomplete above).

College How to Petition for an Extension
Letters & Science
You can petition to extend your Incomplete grade by downloading the L & S Petition to Extend an Incomplete (I) Grade. Fill out the form and take it to your instructor who must sign it and place it in a departmental envelope that must be sealed. The petition can be mailed to L & S or delivered by you in person.

Engineering Chemistry
Haas School of Business
Natural Resources
Environmental Design

You must obtain a letter of support from your instructor and petition through your Dean's office for the extension.

Incomplete Grade Lapse to F or NP

If you do not complete your work by the completion deadline, any I grade will be converted (or lapse) to an F (or NP if the course was taken Passed/Not Passed). The F grade will be included in computing your GPA.

The lapse grade will be removed from your transcript if you completed and turned in the course work prior to the deadline, when the Office of the Registrar receives and processes the paperwork.

Freezing of an Incomplete Grade

You can freeze a grade and Petition to Retain an Incomplete Grade Permanently on the Record with the Dean. (You must adhere to the same completion deadlines that are noted in the Removing an Incomplete section of this page.) If approved, the Dean will forward the information to the Office of the Registrar and the I grade will remain on your transcript. No more than two I grades can be frozen.

NOTE: Please discuss this with an advisor because once a course is frozen, you may never repeat the course nor may the grade be removed by taking an equivalent course.

Effect of an Incomplete on the GPA

The "I" grade has no effect on the GPA. See the table for interpreting grades for more information.


This page was last updated on Monday, July 18, 2011