Registration & Enrollment - Billing
Free Speech News

Fee Payment Information

Fee Deadlines

Fall Semester
August 15

Spring Semester
January 15


Your registration fees are billed through the Campus Accounts Receivable System (CARS), which is administered by Billing and Payment Services, 140 University Hall. A CARS billing statement will be produced each month as long as there is an outstanding balance on your account. You must submit payment of fees as indicated on your statement. Refer to the "Back of the Bill" for payment options. Beginning Fall 2005, students and their other payers will be able to pay electronically via e-Check. Watch Bear Facts for updated information. UC Berkeley also accepts electronic payments made by bank electronic bill payment services. Credit cards are not accepted.

Late CARS Payments

Payments must be received by the due date indicated on the billing statement. CARS assesses late fees of $20 the first month and up to $30 each month thereafter until any delinquent account balance is resolved.

Failure to receive a billing statement does not relieve you of the responsibility to pay the installments on time along with any penalties owed. You can obtain payment amounts from Bear Facts, Info-BEARS, or Billing and Payment Services, 140 University Hall, 510-642-3190. If your fees are not paid in full by the due dates listed on your statement, you may be dropped from the rolls for the current term and blocked from future registration in accordance with University policy.

For Late Registration Fee information, click here.

Deferred Payment Plan

The Deferred Payment Plan allows you to pay your registration fees in five monthly installments. You may elect the Deferred Payment Plan by paying, by the deadlines indicated above, the first installment amount indicated in the "Message" section on your CARS billing statement. A participation fee of $40 per semester will be assessed on a future statement. Information on the Deferred Payment Plan is included with your billing statement and on Bear Facts. For additional information, contact Billing and Payment Services.

Students Receiving Financial Aid

If you are receiving financial aid awarded by the Office of Financial Aid or another campus department, part or all of your aid will be applied toward your registration fees. Your awards will be listed as credits on your billing statement. If your awards do not fully cover your registration fees and other charges due that month, you must pay at least the minimum amount due as indicated on your billing statement. If your awards exceed the charges on your statement, the balance will be refunded to you.


Credit balances in CARS accounts are refunded via Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT). This is the fastest, safest, and most convenient way to receive a refund. EFT deposits refunds directly into your designated checking or savings account, eliminating the risk of a lost or stolen check. You can authorize EFT online at Allow 7 days for the authorization to be activated. If your CARS account is past due, if registration is not complete for the term of the award, contact Billing and Payment Services, 140 University Hall, for assistance with obtaining your refund.

Sponsored Students

If your fees are paid by a governmental agency, a foundation, or other outside organization, it is your responsibility to ensure that payment of fees is properly credited. If your sponsoring agency requires an invoice prior to issuing payment, you should contact Billing and Payment Services, 192 University Hall,, for information on obtaining a fee offset for full or partial payment of your fees.

Loan Information

Information and applications for Emergency Loans (for living expenses and student fee payment), Ford Direct Loans, and PLUS Loans are available from the Office of Financial Aid, second floor, Sproul Hall, 510-642-6442, and at their website.


You may be eligible for a federal tax benefit for payments made towards your registration fees. For more information and eligibility requirements, consult your tax adviser or the Billing and Payment Services website.

Health Insurance Information

All students are required to be covered by major medical health insurance while attending the University of California, Berkeley. You are automatically enrolled in the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP), which provides for specialized care and hospitalization, and supplements services provided to students by the University Health Service (UHS) at the Tang Center, located at 2222 Bancroft Way.

You have the option to waive the University's plan and not pay the fee if you can show proof of insurance coverage comparable to the University's plan. To waive the fee, you must complete and submit a Student Health Insurance Plan Fee Waiver Form along with proof of insurance coverage. For more information and to access the waiver form, see the SHIP website. NOTE: Students who waived the health insurance plan for the fall semester are automatically waived for the subsequent spring semester; there is no need to file another waiver form for the spring. Waived students who wish to cancel their waiver for the spring and apply for SHIP should contact the Student Health Insurance Office.

IMPORTANT: All Cal students can use the medical, counseling, and health promotion services at the University Health Service (UHS), Tang Center, 2222 Bancroft Way. Your registration fees subsidize the UHS, so many of the services are prepaid. The UHS offers a wide range of services, including visits with medical doctors, nurse practitioners, and specialists; lab tests; x-rays; and physical therapy. To make an appointment or for more information, call 510-642-2000.

For information regarding the Student Health Insurance Plan, contact the Student Health Insurance Office in Room 3200, Tang Center, 510-642-5700, or visit their website.

Veterans' Dependents

If you are the son or daughter of a service-connected deceased or service-connected disabled veteran whose disability is rated 10 percent or higher, you may be eligible for a waiver of fees. Contact your local County Veterans Services Office (located in the "Government Listings" section of your telephone book under "County Government Offices") to obtain applications and information and to apply for benefits under this program.

Children of Deceased Police Officers or Firefighters

If you are the son or daughter of a California resident police officer or firefighter who was killed in the line of duty, you may be eligible for a waiver of fees. Contact the Office of the Registrar, Student Services, 120 Sproul Hall, 510-642-1592, for more information.

This page was last updated on Tuesday, December 08, 2009