General Information
Looking toward the Golden Gate

Frequently Asked Questions

General Questions

What are the Office of the Registrar's hours?
Visit Cal Student Central, 120 Sproul Hall, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday through Friday. Online at or call 510-664-9181.

What is the Office of the Registrar's address?
Office of the Registrar
University of California, Berkeley
127 Sproul Hall, #5404
Berkeley, California 94720-5404


How do I become an officially registered student?

  • Enroll in at least one course;
  • Pay your registration fees, either in full or at least the first installment; and
  • Clear any blocks against your registration.

You must be officially registered to use campus services (e.g, libraries, RSF, Career Center, etc.). See Courseload Regulations for minimum unit requirements.

Where can I obtain my Class Schedule?
It's available under the Registration tab on Bear Facts

Where do I pay my fees?
To pay in person, visit Cal Student Central, 120 Sproul Hall, or use the e-Check system to pay online.

My registration is blocked. Where do I go to clear it?
Contact the office that placed the block (e.g., Billing and Payment Services). Log on to Bear Facts to determine which office placed the block.

Where can I check if a class still has openings?
Use the Online Schedule of Classes.

I'm a new undergraduate and I can't use Tele-BEARS because I don't have my Adviser Code. Can you give it to me?
No. Obtain your Adviser Code by attending a CalSO orientation program. Contact New Student Services at 510-642-4970 for more information.

My class level is wrong. Who can correct it?
Visit Cal Student Central, 120 Sproul Hall. They will first check the system to make sure all of your units have been posted. If not, you may have to go to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions in 103 Sproul for verification of transferred units.

Can I audit a class?
With the consent of the instructor, registered students and interested individuals are permitted to audit classes. Arrangements are made directly with the faculty member under any rules the faculty member may establish.  Those auditing ordinarily do not participate in discussions, exams, or written papers. Audited classes are not recorded on the student's class schedule or on academic transcripts.

Address Changes

How do I change my address on official University records?
You can change your local, permanent, and billing addresses and phone numbers via Bear Facts. You can also change your address at your department or college/school office. Address changes cannot be made by telephone.

You can change your e-mail address via the CalNet Directory Services page. (There's also a link to this page on Bear Facts.)

Cal1 Card (Cal Photo ID card)

What is the Cal1 Card?
The Cal1 Card (formerly the Cal Photo ID Card) is the official identification card for UC Berkeley students, staff, and faculty. You can have your photo taken and obtain your card at the Cal1 Card office in Lower Sproul Plaza, at the Chavez Center.

More information on the Cal1 Card.


Information about California Residency for Tuition Purposes is available on the Office of the Registrar website. Also see the Frequently Asked Questions about the Online Statement of Legal Residence.

Cancellation and Withdrawal

I'm already registered but I'm unable to attend classes this semester. What do I do?
If it's before the first day of instruction, you should cancel your registration via Tele-BEARS or by notifying the Office of the Registrar in writing. If instruction has already begun, you need to withdraw from the University. To withdraw, go to the dean's office of your college or school (undergraduates) or to your major department (graduate students).

I have not registered but I keep receiving bills. What do I do?
You should cancel your registration (see previous question).

I wish to attend, but I cancelled my registration. What can I do?
Visit Cal Student Central in 120 Sproul Hall to have your registration reinstated.

Do I need to drop my classes after I cancel my registration?
No. Your classes will be dropped automatically.

More information on cancellation and withdrawal.

Special Programs

For the following programs, students should call 510-644-9181 or visit Cal Student Central at 120 Sproul Hall. 

  • Cross-registration programs
  • Education Abroad Program (EAP)
  • Evening MBA program
  • Exchange Scholars
  • Graduate students enrolling in special candidacy or pre-candidacy studies
  • Intercampus Exchange
  • International students
  • Veterans, U.S. Service members, and their dependents (more information below)
  • Visitors

Does the University have cross-registration agreements with other institutions?
Yes. For more information see the Special Programs section of our website, visit Cal Student Central in 120 Sproul Hall, or call 510-644-9181.

I'm an international student. What do I need to do?
If you are a new international student, you are required to present your passport, I-94, and visa documents (I-20 or IAP-66) to the Berkeley International Office, International House, 2299 Piedmont Avenue. You should visit the Berkeley International Office as soon as you arrive on campus to obtain a check-in schedule as well as additional information about the new international student orientation and other programs. For more information, call 510-642-2818 or see the Berkeley International Office website. You can also contact them by email at:

I'm a U.S. veteran or service member. Where do I go to apply for benefits?
Visit Cal Student Centrall in 120 Sproul Hall. They will help you get started and connect you with Veterans Services staff who serve as a liaison to other campus support services, such as counseling and tutoring, in addition to serving as a resource for all matters relating to educational benefits for veterans, U.S. service members, and their dependents. For more information, please contact the Veterans Services unit, 510-642-1592.


How do I get my final grades?
If submitted by the instructor electronically, final grades for the previous semester are available within the next day after submission via Bear Facts. Grades not submitted electronically are available approximately one month after the end of the semester.

More information on grades.

Where can I get a description of a particular course?
Official descriptions of courses offered at UC Berkeley can be obtained by completing the Request for Course Description Form or by writing a letter that includes the course name, number, and term taken for each course requested. Please include your name, address, and phone number in the letter.

Course descriptions are obtained from the appropriate General Catalog. They are furnished for regular courses on the Berkeley campus only; we cannot provide course descriptions for UC Extension courses.

Please mail the request to: Office of the Registrar, Attention Course Description, 127 Sproul Hall, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720-5404.  Course descriptions are generally processed within 5 days after receipt of request.

I expect to get my bachelor's degree at the end of the semester. How do I declare candidacy?
If you are an undergraduate expecting to graduate at the end of a particular term, you can place yourself on the degree list via Tele-BEARS when Tele-BEARS becomes available for that term through 5th week of the term.

After the 5th week of the term, you can petition your college to be added to the degree list. 

How do I show proof of graduation before degrees are officially approved and posted to the transcript?
You can request a Certificate of Completion. Mail the form to the Office of the Registrar, 127 Sproul Hall, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720; or bring submit it to Cal Student Central, 120 Sproul Hall.

More information on undergraduate degree requirements.

When is commencement?
To check the dates of commencement exercises, please contact Public Information at 510-642-3687, or go to

More information on commencement.

I just graduated. When and how do I get my diploma?
There is a 4-5 month waiting period after commencement exercises. This enables the Office of the Registrar to post grades and degrees/honors as dictated by your college.

Diplomas are automatically mailed to the diploma mailing address supplied on Bear Facts. The default is the permanent home address.

More information on diplomas.

I need to get official verification of my student status. Where do I go?
Official written verification of your enrollment or registration status can be obtained via the Enrollment and Verification System on Bear Facts (click the Transcript/Verification button). For further information, call 510-644-9181.

How do I restrict information from my record (name and address for example) from being released?
You can restrict address information on the address update screen on Bear Facts. If you want to restrict everything, go to 120 Sproul Hall and ask for information about placing your records in the confidential file.

Where can I have my diploma mounted?
Go to the ASUC bookstore.

Where do I go to have my name changed on official University records?
Go to 120 Sproul Hall and request a 'Petition for Change of Name'. Proof of both your former name and your new name must be provided (e.g., state driver's licenses, court documents, birth certificates, marriage certificates, passports). If you wish to change your name after you have graduated, you must return any issued diplomas for replacement with new diplomas bearing your new name. All diploma replacement fees and conditions concerning reissued diplomas apply.


How do I order a transcript?

Current students can order official transcripts via Bear Facts. Click the "Academic Record" tab and then "Transcript Verification/Request".

Alumni, former students, and summer-only students can order official transcripts via Credentials, Inc.

More transcript FAQs.

Degree Audit Reporting System (DARS)

What is DARS?
DARS enables undergraduate students to monitor their academic progress toward their degree by ordering reports about courses they need to meet their major, UC, and campus requirements.

A DARS report is chock full of information, including: which courses you've taken to meet the requirements, which you can take to meet unfulfilled requirements, which ones you'd need to take if you change your major, and much more. DARS cannot substitute for meeting personally with your advisor, but it can be a valuable tool for both of you when you do meet.

How do I order a DARS report?

  • Go to the Bear Facts page, click the DARSweb link, and log in with your CalNet ID and Passphrase.
  • Click the "Audits" tab and select "Request New Audit.
  • Select either "Run for current major" (the default) or for any "selected program" (a "what if" scenario).
  • Click the "Submit New Audit" button.
  • Wait a few moments for your report to run, then click the "Refresh List" button. You may have to click it a few times.
  • When your new request appears on the list below, click the "Open Audit" button to its left.

There is no limit to the number of DARS reports you can request, but only the ten most recent will be saved. The most recent report always appears at the top of the list.

More information on DARS.

Disclosure of Student Records

What is the Office of the Registrar's policy on release and disclosure of student records?
The address and telephone release information printed on your registration form indicates whether or not the Office of the Registrar can disclose this information to a third party. You can change your release information via Bear Facts.

Please note that even if you indicate "no release," your address and telephone number will be made available to campus departments and other offices affiliated with the University who may need this information to notify you of academic events or to conduct official University business. This information can also be released to non-University offices if it is determined that disclosure to third parties is required or allowed by law and University policy. In addition to your address and telephone number, your year in school and your major and college will be made available to the campus Development Office for use in membership drives, fundraising appeals, correspondence with your parents, surveys, and invitations to campus events.

If you wish to restrict the release of information other than your address and telephone number, you have the option of placing your records into a confidential file. If you do, no information in your record-not even your name-will be disclosed to a third party. For more information about the confidential file, please visit the Cal Student Central, 120 Sproul Hall.

Information about University and campus policies on disclosure of student records can be obtained from the Office of the Registrar, 127 Sproul Hall, 510-642-2939. Copies of the full text of the University of California policy can also be reviewed at this location.

More information on disclosure of student records



This page was last updated on Thursday, August 27, 2015