College Fee Waiver
The State of California offers the College Fee Waiver program to spouses and children of deceased or disabled U.S. veterans. Eligibility is determined by your local California County Veterans Services Office. The Fall Program for Freshmen and the UC Extension programs do not qualify for the College Fee Waiver program.
The college-fee waiver benefit:
- applies exclusively to fees for academic programs that are subsidized by the State of California
- applies only to UC-systemwide fees. You are responsible for paying all campus-based fees
How Do I...?
To receive this benefit:
- you must meet UC's California residency requirements; and
- provide Veterans Benefits a copy of your current Authorization Letter at the beginning of each academic year (submit Authorization Letters in June for the fall term and November for the spring term)
Cal Vet Fee Waivers are processed after fees are assessed and before the start of each term. If your waiver is not yet reflected on your billing statement, please contact Veterans Benefits for more information.
Qualified students receive an Authorization Letter by their County Veterans Services Office; each Authorization Letter is valid for one academic year. You need to renew the benefit annually through your local County Veterans Services Office.
To use this benefit for Summer Session, request the waiver for Summer Session in writing or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org after your summer enrollment schedule is finalized.
Processing of Cal Vet Fee Waivers for Summer Sessions begins in May.
If your enrollment changes, notify us promptly at: email@example.com
You must pay the Campus Fee as well as applicable miscellaneous fees such as the Document Management Fee, Program Fees, Cancellation Fee, etc. The Cal Vet Fee Waiver only applies to the per-unit course fees.
You must be matriculated and registered at a UC campus during the current academic year or admitted/readmitted for the upcoming academic year. Students visiting from other institutions to attend UC Berkeley Summer Session are not eligible for the Cal Vet fee waiver.
The fees for the following programs are not covered by the Cal Vet fee waiver because they are not subsidized by the State of California:
- Summer Session for visiting students (see below)
- University Extension courses, including the Fall Program for Freshmen (FPF); Master of Laws (LL.M.); Summer LL.M.; Executive MBA (EMBA); Evening & Weekend MBA (EWMBA); Master of Financial Engineering (MFE); Online On-Campus MPH (OOMPH); Master of Advanced Study in Integrated Circuits (MASIC); Master of Engineering Part-Time; and Master of Information & Data Science (MIDS)
To take maximum advantage of your benefits, please contact one of our Veterans Benefits staff members to discuss possible strategies.