It’s important to plan ahead and be proactive in order to ensure timely certification and receipt of benefits, and that you're officially registered on time and have uninterrupted access to University services.
You’re responsible for all tuition and registration fees, as well as for meeting all registration and fee payment deadlines. The University cannot guarantee payments by the VA will be received on time.
To ensure you're officially registered on time, we recommend you:
- Take advantage of the Emergency Loan program which offers interest-free loans of the minimum amount to become officially registered. The funds are usually disbursed within hours of applying and the loan is automatically repaid if the VA pays your fees directly to UC Berkeley. If we have certified you for Chapter 33 (Post 9/11) or Chapter 31 (Voc Rehab) benefits, contact us at email@example.com after applying for the loan, and we will arrange to have the processing fee waived.
- Apply for financial aid in case your VA benefits do not cover the entire cost of attendance. Your residency status for tuition purposes must be determined before you can be certified with the VA. If you have questions about your residency classification or the process, contact Residence Affairs at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- New and returning students should submit all required documentation promptly.
- Continuing students seeking a residency reclassification should submit all required documentation no later than the priority deadline.
- Health Insurance Waivers impact the level of fees VA benefits cover. If you plan to have the health insurance requirement waived, apply promptly.
- Enroll in courses promptly. You cannot be certified with the VA unless you are enrolled in courses.
- Notify us at email@example.com if you plan to enroll in less than the full-time requirement for your school, college or program.
- Notify us at firstname.lastname@example.org promptly if you change your major program, add or drop courses, or need to withdraw from the UC Berkeley.