Before Enrolling

  • Before you get started, explore courses and degree options via the Berkeley Guide.
  • Check your progress (using DARS) towards meeting college and major requirements.
  • Build your class schedule in CalCentral using the Schedule of Classes and the Schedule Planner.


Spring 2017 enrollment: Use CalCentral

  • If you do not enroll in classes by the end of the third week of instruction, follow the instructions (listed below) for Enroll in Classes Late.
  • Obtain your class schedule in CalCentral under Schedule Planner.
  • For FAQs and instructions on using CalCentral, please find them here.

How Do I...?

Plan My Schedule

  1. Plan your schedule within CalCentral.
  2. Set up a meeting with your adviser at your college department.

Normal Course Loads
Undergraduates: A course load of 15 units per semester is considered a normal undergraduate course load, and you are expected to enroll in at least 15 units.

Graduate Students: A course load of 12 units per semester is considered a normal, full-time graduate course load.

Reduced Study Loads
If you are an undergraduate and anticipate being enrolled in fewer than the minimum number of units required by your college or school, contact the dean's office of your college or school as soon as possible (preferably before the end of the previous semester, or at least well before the end of Phase II) for approval to be enrolled in a less-than-full course load.

Check if a Class is Open

You can find open classes in CalCentral.

Enroll In/Drop a Class

You add/drop classes within CalCentral.

The Student Calendar includes dates you can add/drop (and when the add/drop fee applies).

Enroll in a Class
If you want to enroll in (add) a class, keep in mind:

  • Undergraduates are limited to no more than 13.5 units during Phase 1 and 17.5 units during Phase 2, which includes waitlisted units. (For graduates, the limit for Phase 1 is 12 units, and for Phase 2 it is 20.5 units.) This is a hard cap enforcement. You are free to enroll for more units during the Adjustment Period in August (fall) / January (spring).
  • Many classes are restricted to students who have certain majors or who are at certain course levels, or have blocks of seats reserved for different categories of students; these classes are indicated in CalCentral. 
  • If you attempt to add a course and you do not meet the restrictions, you will not be allowed to enroll and you will receive the message "You have not met the enrollment restrictions (or criteria) for this class" or "Students at your course level are not permitted to enroll in this class."
  • If you qualify for a seat reservation category but it is full, you will receive the message: "The enrollment category for which you qualify is full."
  • You'll be charged a $5 fee for each class added after the third week of instruction. (If you are not officially registered by the end of the third week of instruction, you'll be charged a $150 late-registration fee if you become officially registered afterwards.)
  • Beginning with fall semester 2016, you will no longer be able to automatically enroll in classes that have a time overlap. As of July 2016, if you attempt to enroll in two classes that have a time schedule overlap, a notification will appear on your CalCentral, My Dashboard page. The message will offer you an opportunity to request a time conflict override if no other restrictions prevent you from enrolling in both classes.
  • Scheduling classes with time conflicts is not encouraged. The campus enrollment system will provide a warning about possible conflicts but as a student, it is your responsibility to accept and work out any issues that might arise from these conflicts (scheduling of exams, attendance, assessment and course expectations). Instructors are in no way obligated to accommodate issues that arise from your decision to enroll in classes with time conflicts. Note that some colleges will not approve student enrollment in conflicting courses.

Drop a Class
To drop an enrolled or wait-listed class from your schedule, go to your current class schedule and select the class you wish to drop. You must confirm the transaction before the class can be dropped from your schedule. Please be aware some courses have early drop deadlines (EDD, PDF). The deadline for dropping EDD courses is midnight on Friday of the second week of instruction. Check your college/school's website for more information.

A $10 fee is charged for each class dropped after the second week of instruction (undergraduates) and after the third week of instruction (graduate students).

Get Added to/Enroll From/Drop From a Wait List

If you are unable to enroll in a class because it is full, there are two ways you may be added to a wait list: automatic or manual. You can find out the wait list options through CalCentral.*

1) Automatic. You can place yourself on the class's wait list within CalCentral. Automatic waiting lists are processed nightly during Phases I and II and nightly from the start of the Adjustment Period through the end of the third week of instruction. Students on automatic waiting lists are enrolled sequentially, provided there is space available.

2) Manual. An instructor or department can change a waiting list from automatic to manual (or vice versa) at any time. An instructor/department also can selectively choose to add students from a wait list and may not adhere to the sequential order of students on the wait list. (Students added this way are not charged a $5 add fee.) Departments may enroll students from a manual waiting list beginning the first day of Phase I through the end of the fifth week of instruction. 

Wait-listed students usually receive first priority for enrollment; however, there is no guarantee that you will be enrolled in the course. Being enrolled from a wait list depends on a number of factors, such as whether the list is "automatic" or "manual," your position on the list, the size of the course, and whether enough space becomes available (through drops or an increase in seats).

Units for wait-listed courses are counted as part of your unit total. You need to be actually enrolled (i.e., not on the wait list) in at least one course to be considered officially "registered" (in addition to having paid at least 20 percent of your registration fees and having no registration blocks).

If you no longer wish to take a wait-listed course, you are responsible for dropping yourself from the wait list, preferably by the end of the second week of instruction. If you have already been enrolled from a wait list, you are responsible for dropping the course in accordance with the Enroll/Drop/Grading Option Change Deadlines.

Enroll in Classes Late

If you are not enrolled in any classes by the end of the third week of instruction, you must:

Undergraduates: Obtain approval of an adviser in your college or school beginning the fourth week of instruction before enrolling. 

Graduate Students: File a Petition for Late Enrollment/Registration to enroll in classes.

If you are not officially registered by the end of the third week of instruction (subject to change), you will be charged a $150 late-registration fee if you become officially registered after this time. 

Determine Minimum Unit Requirements

You must be enrolled in at least one class to be considered a registered student at Berkeley (in addition to having paid registration fees and having no registration blocks or holds). However, you are expected to be enrolled in at least the minimum number of units approved by your college or school by the end of the third week of instruction. Minimum unit requirements are as follows:

Undergraduate Minimum Unit Requirements:
Haas School of Business: 13 Units (effective fall 2005)

College of Chemistry: 13 Units

College of Engineering: 12 Units

College of Environmental Design: 12 Units

College of Letters & Science: 13 Units

College of Natural Resources: 13 Units

Graduate Minimum Unit Requirements:
All graduate students: 12 Units

Graduate students under special programs, such as fellowship or financial aid recipients, have different minimum unit requirements. Consult your department.

Enroll Beyond Maximum Units

If you wish to enroll in more units than the maximum, you must seek approval from your college or school dean's office (declared majors in Letters and Science should go to their department for approval). Maximum unit limits are as follows:

Undergraduate Maximum Unit Limits:
Haas School of Business: 20.5 Units

College of Chemistry: 19.5 Units

College of Engineering: 20.5 Units

College of Environmental Design: 20.5 Units

College of Letters & Science: 20.5 Units

College of Natural Resources: 19.5 Units

Graduate Maximum Unit Limits:
Law School students: 17.5 Units

All other graduate students: 20.5 Units

Audit a Class

Arrangements are made directly with the faculty member under any rules the faculty member may establish. What you should know:

  • As a student who audits, you would ordinarily not participate in discussions, exams, or written papers.
  • Audited classes are not recorded on your course schedule or on academic transcripts.

Handle an Instructor Drop

You should always drop any unwanted classes from your schedule immediately. Don't wait for or assume an instructor will drop you from a class.

But, an instructor may drop you from a class if you do not attend every class meeting during the first three weeks of instruction or if you do not meet the prerequisites.