Transcripts & Diplomas

Law students should contact the Boalt Law School Registrar about requesting transcripts.

How Do I...?

Order a Transcript

Current Students
Current students may order transcripts online through our student portal, CalCentral, or they may order paper copies on-the-spot at Cal Student Central in 120 Sproul Hall.

New! Berkeley can now send fully electronic transcripts (EDI) to receiving institutions. Sending transcripts electronically is the fastest and most secure way to go!

Alumni and Summer Visitors
Alumni and summer sessions visitors may order transcripts using TranscriptsPlus.

Berkeley Law Alumni
Alumni of Berkeley Law should visit the Berkeley Law website for information on ordering a transcript.

Order a Transcript if I am a Applying to a Professional School (Law, Medical, Pharmaceutical, etc.)

Current Students
Current students may send a transcript to an application processing service such as AMCAS, LSDAS, PHARMCAS, or other, order through CalCentral.

Alumni and Summer Visitors
Alumni and summer sessions visitors may order transcripts using TranscriptsPlus.

Note: The UC Berkeley transcript order forms (for both current students and alumni) include a field to add the unique identifier for your application. Therefore, you do not need to include additional forms to be "attached" with your order.

Request a Transcript as a Visiting Student

If you attended during the fall or spring terms, a transcript will be forwarded to your home campus approximately five to six weeks after the term has ended. Your course work and grades will be included in your home-campus record.

If a change occurs after the work is transferred, a replacement transcript will be sent to the home campus. 

Order a Berkeley Law School Transcript

Berkeley Law students and alumni may order transcripts directly from the Law School Registrar.  

Order a UC Berkeley Extension Transcript

UC Berkeley Extension students and alumni may order transcripts from UC Berkeley Extension directly.

Graduate if I Owe Money to the University

Effective Spring 2018, students who owe money to the university will be able to graduate, but their diploma and transcripts will be withheld. Once a student makes their payment and the system is updated, the student will be contacted via email to verify their mailing address for the diploma.  

Make Sure My Name is Correct on My Diploma

The name on your diploma will appear as it was recorded from your application for admission to UC Berkeley. You may change your name of record by providing a driver's license or passport, or record of a legal name change.

To verify the accuracy of your name:

  1. Go to your "Profile" in CalCentral.
  2. View the name displayed and confirm that it matches your driver's license or passport.
  3. To make a correction, visit Cal Student Central at 120 Sproul Hall with a driver's license or passport, and complete the correction form before the last day of the term in which you wish to graduate.

If you have legally changed your name since applying:

  1. Fill out the Name Change Petition.
  2. Bring the completed Name Change Petition and supporting documentation to Cal Student Central at 120 Sproul Hall before the last day of the term in which you wish to graduate.
  3. To mail your Name Change Petition, send the petition and copies of supporting documentation to:

Academic Records, Office of the Registrar
128 Sproul Hall
University of California
Berkeley, CA 94702-5404

Note: While at UC Berkeley you may choose to use a preferred name. While the preferred name will appear on certain records such as your Cal 1 Card, course rosters, and Residence Hall records, the preferred name will not appear on your diploma. For more information, see "Your Name on Records & Rosters."

Check My Diploma Mailing Address

Diplomas are mailed four months after graduation to the diploma mailing address in Cal Central.

Please see these instructions on how to check and update this address prior to graduation.

If you no longer have access to campus systems, fill out the Diploma Mailing Request Form.

Note: Diplomas are mailed four months after the end of graduation term.

Request a Replacement Diploma

You may request a replacement diploma by submitting the Application for Replacement of Diploma Form. Replacement diplomas are available 45-60 days after the request is processed.

Obtain a Replacement Diploma with a New Name

Complete two forms, the Petition for Change of Name After Awarding of Degree Form and the Application for Replacement of Diploma Form. If you are replacing a diploma because of a change of name, return the original diploma to the University as part of the Replacement Application process.

Get a Transcript or Diploma Notarized

UC Berkeley can notarize your official transcripts, verification documents, or diplomas. For diplomas, you must provide a photocopy to notarize. The processing fee is $15 per document for this service. We make arrangements to have documents notarized twice a month during the first and third week of each month. Please complete the Request for Verification of Attendance and Degrees Form and mail it to the address listed at the bottom of the form along with your payment.

Prove I Graduated Before Degrees Are Posted

Undergraduate Students


Registered students on the current degree list who have met all requirements for graduation and need proof of such (before final degrees are posted) can complete an Expedited Degree Check-out form. Please fill out the form and check the list below for the appropriate staff contact and email. The form can also be picked up or dropped off at Cal Student Central (120 Sproul Hall).

If you are graduating from the College of Letters & Science (Last name A–J), College of Chemistry, College of Engineering, or College of Natural Resources, send your form to Vanessa Robbins:

If you are graduating from the College of Letters & Science (Last name K–Z), Haas School of Business, or the College of Environmental Design, send your form to Grace Padua:

The turnaround time is a minimum of two weeks for processing due to the number of offices that need to clear requirements. Students will be notified by email after the degree is posted.


Non-registered students who need proof of graduation (before the end of the term) can submit a request for a Certificate of Completion. The release of this certificate requires that all requirements for graduation are fulfilled. The form can be submitted to Cal Student Central (120 Sproul Hall),  mailed to Academic Records, 128 Sproul Hall, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720-5404 or sent to your contact in Academic Records. Check the list above for the appropriate staff contact.

If the term is over, please complete an Expedited Degree Check-out form

Graduate Students

If you need proof of graduation before your degree is posted, please submit a request for a Certificate of Completion. This is processed by the Graduate Division and may take up to 10 days to process.

Know When My Degree Posted to the Official Transcript

Degrees are posted on the official transcript approximately three months after the end of the term.

Request a Transcript for a Family Member or for Genealogy Research

If family members are living, they must order the transcript for themselves using TranscriptsPlus.

If the family member is deceased, you may order the transcript by including a death certificate or obituary along with the order. Please write a letter and include the following:

  • Name 
  • Birth date,
  • Dates of attendance 
  • Field of study (if known)

Please mail the letter to Transcripts, Office of the Registrar, 128 Sproul Hall, University of California, Berkeley, CA  94720-5404. The transcripts will be sent via first-class mail and typically take seven to ten days to arrive. There is no fee for this service.

Order a Dean's Certification Form

Also known as dean’s certification or letter of recommendation, these letters are commonly required of Law and Professional School applicants. The University’s Letter of Good Standing certifies your enrollment and/or successful completion of your degree, your academic standing, and indicates whether or not you were or are the subject of any student conduct cases at UC Berkeley.

Complete the Request of Letter of Good Standing/Dean's Appraisal form and submit it to Cal Student Central, 120 Sproul Hall, or mail it to the Office of the Registrar. There is no fee for the University’s standard Letter of Good Standing. However, if you wish the University to complete and certify a third-party form in lieu of the standard letter, there is a fee of $10 per form.

Please submit the request form at least two weeks ahead of your deadline.