Cancellation & Withdrawal

Cancellation & Withdrawal

If you are enrolled in classes and you do not plan on attending that term, you must submit a Withdrawal Request Form in CalCentral > My Dashboard > Add a Withdrawal Request.

If you submit your form before the first day of instruction for the term, your request will be processed as a Cancellation. You will be dropped from all classes, and all term fees will be de-assessed. There will be no notation of the cancellation on your transcript.

New undergraduates: If this is your first semester at UC Berkeley, before canceling your registration, contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions about the possibility of deferring your admission. If you cancel your registration, you will be required to submit a new admission application to attend a future semester. The same process applies to new students who enroll in summer and then cancel their first semester enrollment.

Continuing students: If you submit your Withdrawal Request Form on or after the first day of instruction, your request will be processed as a Withdrawal. You will be dropped from all classes and will be subject to prorated penalties outlined in Refunds After Withdrawal.

You should meet with your college adviser (undergraduates) or major adviser (graduate students) before initiating your request as your form will not be processed until approved by your college or school dean’s office (undergraduates) or major adviser (graduates).

Withdrawing also affects a semester of financial aid eligibility. If you have a student loan (Federal Direct, Health Professions, or Perkins), the process remains the same as any withdrawal, and you are required to complete an exit interview.

When you cancel or withdraw, you will no longer be eligible to attend for that semester or any future semester until you are Readmitted.

How Do I...?

Withdraw for Medical Reasons

If you are withdrawing for medical reasons, the process remains the same as any withdrawal and will be recorded as a "Self-Requested Medical Withdrawal". However, University Health Services at the Tang Center has an additional process for reviewing medical withdrawals which, if approved, will be recorded as "Approved Medical-Withdrawal".

Withdraw if I am an International Student

If you are an international student (on an F-1 or J-1 visa), the process remains the same as any withdrawal, and you must also consult with an adviser at the Berkeley International Office to determine whether or not withdrawing will jeopardize your immigration status and your permission to be in the United States.

Withdraw if I am a Student Athlete

If you are a student athlete, the process remains the same as any withdrawal, and you should discuss your plan with your coach and also with your adviser in the Athletic Study Center.

Withdraw Because I'm Called to Active Military Duty

If you are a Reserve or National Guard member of the U.S. Armed Forces and are called to active duty for service other than your training commitment; of if you are on active duty while attending UC Berkeley and are deployed elsewhere, the campus Veterans Benefits Unit will help you:

  • withdraw with a full refund of eligible tuition and fees paid out of pocket (funds paid by the VA need not be refunded)
  • obtain Incomplete grades that will not lapse to an F before you return to complete the work; and
  • apply for readmission without a fee