If you were a registered student pursuing a UC Berkeley degree at some prior point and would like to return, you need to be readmitted or approved for re-enrollment.
Undergraduate students who left the University and were absent for one or more semesters must apply for readmission.
Graduate students who were absent from the University for one or more semesters or were on Filing Fee status but did not file their dissertation must apply for re-enrollment.
Readmission and re-enrollment is not guaranteed. The decision ultimately rests with your college, school or the Graduate Division, each of which has different expectations, deadlines, and requirements. Please consult your college, school, or the Graduate Division for detailed information.
Note: Your college, school or the Graduate Division may take weeks to adjudicate your application. The Office of the Registrar processes approved applications within 3–5 business days after receipt from the colleges, schools and Graduate Division.
How Do I...?
In order for your college or school to adjudicate your application for readmission, you must:
1. Clear all holds (except those from Financial Aid). Applications cannot be evaluated until all holds are cleared.
2. Complete the Undergraduate Application for Readmission. Print a copy, then sign and date it. Incomplete applications cannot be evaluated.
Indicate your current major program — or undeclared status — on your application. If you wish to change or declare your major program:
- College of Letters and Science students should follow the L&S readmission guidelines.
- College of Natural Resources students should follow the CNR readmission guidelines.
- All other students should complete Undergraduate Petition Change of College, Major or Curriculum and follow the submission instructions.
3. Attach a check or money order for the nonrefundable, nontransferable Readmission Fee of $70.* Make your check or money order payable to UC Regents. Please do not submit cash.
*The Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) offers a fee waiver for the readmission application for EOP-eligible students. For more information, please visit 119 Chavez or call 510-642-7224.
4. Enclose official transcripts of all course work taken at another institution — including UC Berkeley Extension — during your absence. Official transcripts may be submitted separately from your application and payment.
5. Submit your readmission materials directly to your college or school advising office:
- Upon readmission, you will be required to submit an online Statement of Legal Residence at calcentral.berkeley.edu.
- Your college or school may take weeks to adjudicate your application.
- The Office of the Registrar processes approved applications within 3-5 business days after receipt from the colleges and schools.
Graduate students who were absent from the University for one or more semesters or were on Filing Fee status but did not file their dissertation should consult the Graduate Division Readmission and Re-enrollment policies and procedures. If you qualify for re-enrollment based on these policies, you must:
- Clear all holds (except those from Financial Aid).
- Contact your Head Graduate Adviser for assistance with the re-enrollment process and to have a re-enrollment request submitted to the Office of the Registrar on your behalf.
- Check Cal Central for follow-up items you are required to complete such as submitting an online Statement of Legal Residence* and updating your contact information at calcentral.berkeley.edu.
*Some professional programs are exempt from a residence determination. If you are uncertain if yours is among them, please consult your Program Office.
Submit all required documents to your Program Office. Your GSAO will notify you once you are eligible for re-enrollment.
The Office of the Registrar processes approved applications within 3–5 business days after receipt from the Graduate Division.
For undergraduates, the deadlines for readmission application are:
- June 1 for the fall semester
- November 1 for the spring semester
Graduate students should consult the Student Calendar for registration information and deadlines.
Students returning after a Medical Withdrawal should consult University Health Services, which will process approval of a Health Clearance for Readmission Application form. This process may take up to thirty days and is required to be completed before the Office of the Registrar can act upon an Application for Readmission.