If you are a nonresident undergraduate student under the age of 24, whose parents are not California residents, you most likely will remain classified as a nonresident for the duration of your undergraduate career. (Please note: The term parent as defined by UC Residency Policy is considered a biological or legally adoptive parent.)

This is due to UC’s one-year financial independence requirement. If you have moved to California specifically to attend UC Berkeley, you are here for educational purposes and may not be eligible for a resident classification for purposes of tuition and fees.