Verification of Enrollment/Degrees
You must be officially registered before we can verify your enrollment for the current or upcoming term. This means you must be enrolled in courses, have paid at least 20% of your tuition and registration fees, and have no registration blocks.UC Berkeley offers two official verification instruments:
1) Student Self-Service Enrollment Verification
2) Official Verification of Attendance and Degrees
This is a free and secure service provided by the National Student Clearinghouse. It’s available to students registered for the current term. Verifications for any given term are available only after instruction begins for the term. With this service you can:
- print an Enrollment Verification Certificate: proof of registration, enrollment status and anticipated graduation date for grants, scholarships, services, etc.
- print a Good Student Discount Certificate: proof of registration, enrollment status and eligibility for grants, scholarships, and discounts and services that require a GPA of 3.00 or higher
- view and print your enrollment history (enrollment prior to summer 2013 may not be available)
- check information about your student loan deferments and electronic notices sent to lenders
Registered students may access Student Self-Service Verifications via CalCentral, under the My Academics tab.
Note: Student Self-Service is updated weekly every Tuesday afternoon to reflect your registration status as of 5:00 p.m. the preceding Monday.
Official Verification of Attendance and Degrees, UC Berkeley's official verification document, is printed on letterhead with the University seal and bears the signature of the University Registrar. There is no fee for this service.
Current students may request an Official Verification of Attendance and Degrees online via CalCentral in the My Academics section or in person at Cal Student Central in 120 Sproul Hall.
Students who no longer have access to CalCentral may obtain an Official Verification of Attendance and Degrees by completing a Request for Verification form and submitting it in one of the following ways:
- Bring the form in person to Cal Student Central, 120 Sproul Hall.
- Mail the form to the Office of the Registrar. Your verification will be sent via first-class mail to the destination of your choice within three to five business days of receipt.
- Email a form not accompanied by payment to email@example.com.
Students or alumni may also obtain a degree or attendance verification online through the National Student Clearinghouse. However, this vendor charges a fee for verifications.
Note: We do not complete and certify third-party forms requiring information provided on the Official Verification or on the Enrollment Verification and Good Student Discount certificate available online. Many service providers and partner institutions have been advised of this policy, but feel free to print this letter from the University Registrar and submit it with your verification documents.
The Official Verification is most commonly used for:
Verification of degrees earned
Verification of enrollment
Confirmation of full-time or part-time registration status
Loan deferment information
Eligibility for grants, scholarships, services, etc.
Official Verifications include:
- Student name of record
- UC Berkeley’s federal school code
- Admit date for each Program of Study
- UC Berkeley school, college or division
- Cumulative GPA (optional)
- Degree goal
- Class level
- Anticipated graduation date
- Degrees awarded (degree title and date awarded)
- Term(s) enrolled
- Begin and end dates of term(s) enrolled
- Academic career (Undergraduate, Graduate or Law) for term(s) enrolled
- Semester units enrolled or completed for term(s) enrolled
- GPA for term(s) enrolled (optional)
- Enrollment status for term(s) enrolled
- Student comments: Use this optional field to enter any comments for the recipient you wish printed on your verification. Your comments will be printed exactly as you enter them under the heading, "Student Comments."
Also known as the Dean’s Certification or Letter of Recommendation, these letters are commonly required of Law and Professional School applicants.
The University’s Letter of Good Standing certifies your enrollment and/or successful completion of your degree, your academic standing, and indicates whether or not you were or are the subject of any student conduct cases at UC Berkeley.
Complete this form and submit it to Cal Student Central, 120 Sproul Hall, or mail it to the Office of the Registrar. There is no fee for the University’s standard Letter of Good Standing. However, if you wish the University to complete and certify a third-party form in lieu of the standard letter, there is a fee of $10 per form.
Please submit the request form at least two weeks ahead of your deadline.
UC Berkeley has contracted with the National Student Clearinghouse, a nonprofit organization serving the higher education community, to verify the attendance and degrees of UC Berkeley students and alumni for all employers, service providers, and other third parties (not affiliated with UC Berkeley). The Clearinghouse may be reached by phone at: 703-742-4200. This vendor charges a fee for verifications.
UC Berkeley can notarize your official transcripts, verification documents, or diplomas. For diplomas, you must provide a photocopy to notarize. The processing fee is $15 per document for this service. We make arrangements to have documents notarized twice a month during the first and third week of each month. Please complete the Request for Verification of Attendance and Degrees Form and mail it to the address listed at the bottom of the form along with your payment.
Apostilles are available exclusively from the California Secretary of State. They certify the authenticity of signatures by California Notaries Public. If you need an Apostille for a document notarized by the Office of the Registrar, please visit the California Secretary of State for information and instruction.
The Office of the Registrar provides additional services for a fee. All fees and shipping charges for Additional Services must be paid by check or money order payable to UC Regents; the University cannot accept credit card payments. To order any of the additional services, complete a Request for Verification form and submit it in person to Cal Student Central in 120 Sproul Hall, or mail it to the Office of the Registrar.
- Third-Party Forms with Specialized Information: Complete and certify third-party forms that require information different from or in addition to the information available on the Official Verification for a special processing fee of $10 per document.
- Customized Verification Documents: Create and mail a verification document with information in addition to or different from that available on the Official Verification of Attendance and Degrees for a special processing fee of $10 per document.
- Express Shipping: Your options are UPS Domestic (Next Business Day) for $27 and UPS Worldwide (One to Three Business Days) for $40.